Friday, March 13, 2009

Uddevalla - Days 9, 10, 11 - boats and trains and bridges, oh my!


Hej everyone! Many of us have been sans internet for a while so we’ll be sure to post at the very least some pictures from the last few days.

The last few days were great for me personally because I love boats, trains, and bridges. First we stopped in Trollhättan to look at the lock systems along the important Trollhättan canal, where there was a museum of the canals history, with lots of boats. We then ate lunch in an old train manufacturing facility that has been converted to a city center with office space, shops and a cafeteria (Kara and I ate Swedes). Then we arrived in Uddevalla and saw more boats in the bay (among other things). My host family (Christian, Maja, Jessica, and Julia Martins) have a boat and go sailing every summer, and they showed me many pictures. Apparently this part of western Sweden is very popular for the summer and many Swedes bring their boats and go swimming on the beaches. This morning we took a walk along the shoreline in Uddevalla where there is a beautiful pedestrian bridge suspended from the rocky cliffs. Then Ron took us for a drive over the large bridge for the highway that leads to Oslo, Norway on our way to the “red bag” energy plant (more about that later). Uddevalla received a very heavy snow last night so everything looks even more beautiful.

Bay in Uddevalla with a giant cargo ship and suspension bridge in the background

On top of fulfilling my love for boats, trains, and bridges, the last few days have also given me the opportunity to lose any extra weight I’ve gained from partaking in the delicious chocolate, cheese and Swedish cuisine, as I got severe food poisoning! It was pretty awesome to say the least, especially trying to figure out the Swedish words for "puke bucket" as I walked in the door to my new host family. I had to sit out of yesterday’s activities and half of today’s as well. Thankfully no one else has been affected so far, and the Martins (my host family) have been so nice and accommodating in this rather embarrassing situation. And my team has also been great - incredibly warm and supportive in their usual fashion :) - and Jennifer has proved to be a fantastic nurse. But potentially trim figure aside, I can’t wait to feel 100% better so we can be a group again - I miss them already!

Tonight my host family is meeting with Stephanie’s host family for dinner. I probably won’t eat much but am excited to meet them – Steph tells me they are really great!

I don't have much about Uddevalla because I was so sick, but you can see how Uddevalla turns trash into energy at my professional blog, Green Building Matters.

Tomorrow we go to Trollhättan, the land of troll hats, for our mid-term rest at the hotel – we’ll update you when we get there! Vi ses - Alison
Kara at the Trollhättan locks
Sweden's version of the Titanic - from the 16th century I think - the largest ship of its time, containing thousands of passengers, on its maiden voyage tipped over and sunk in the harbor
An old train in Trollhättan trainyard where we ate lunch

The suspension bridge in Uddevalla that leads to Oslo, Norway

No comments:

Post a Comment