Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Talkin' Trash in Göteborg


What can tire recycling teach me? How does a urine separating toilet work? Could the sorting of trash reflect a society's values about the environment? These are questions that I thought of yesterday while touring Ekocentrum and Scandia Enviro Systems.
I enjoyed the Monday evening dinner with Rotarians from the Göteborg-Långedrag Club. I sat at a table with six interesting and friendly members. After they learned of my interest in recycling during the my team's Group Study Exchange presentation, our table's conversation naturally drifted to practices about recycling and environmental regulations. I learned that residents pay extra for each meter that their garbage can is located away from the street. Also, in speaking with a printing company owner, I heard that companies that wish to obtain contracts with the city government must complete certification through ISO 14000.

Rotarians at my dinner table
Rachel, aka The Garbage Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment