Sunday, March 8, 2009

Goodbye Alingsas.... hello Vänersborg!!


Sunday, March 8th

As we prepare to leave Alingsas, even after only a few days, it feels like we are leaving some very special friends behind. This first stop on our journey has been AMAZING and I have enjoyed every bit of the experience. This morning, a light snow is falling and, through the window we had cracked open, we could hear the birds chirping… Above is a picture of me and Gunther -- he has hosted Jennifer and I for the past few nights.

Last evening, we were invited into Anna-Karin and Anders home for dinner and had the opportunity to get to know several others in the Alingsas Rotary Club a bit better. I enjoyed talking with Peter and his wife Hannah – he is the incoming Alingsas Club President as well as talking with Eva who will be taking over in June as the District Governor. Eva and I spent quite a bit of time comparing how the Rotary Clubs function versus the Elks Organization that my husband and I are involved in. Later in the evening, I had an opportunity to “see” my family on my computer using Skype and spoke with them for about 20 minutes to catch up on what they’ve been doing.

Today, we are moving to another community – Vänersborg – and the adventure continues. Looking at our “program” (as the Swedish call it), it looks like the next couple of days will be very busy and I am looking forward to the Vocational visits as I have already enjoyed the ones we’ve experienced so far.

Thank you again to all of the wonderful people in Alingsas who have been so kind to us during our stay - - we know that you will continue to follow our progress through your country and that we will see some of you again. To those we will not meet again, vi ses!! We will NEVER forget you!

Hello Vänersborg!! While we have only been here a few hours everyone has made us feel VERY welcome! We were driven from Alingsas to Frugården which is the home of Katarina and Fredrik Waern. They have a wonderful, historic old house and farm/log the land around it. We were able to meet many of the people that we will get to know while in Vänersborg and were shown around the grounds of this historic homestead that has been in Fredrick’s family since 1902. It will be an early evening tonight as our schedule for the next few days is rather packed.

Stephanie Riegelman – Team Member

1 comment:

  1. Have a blast Rachel! Sounds like you are learning so much and your group does look super cool in your matchie outfits. I am so happy for you, I saw a photo where you look very much like yourself, inquisitive. I suspect this trip is full of fulfillment in many ways for you, enjoy! By the way, your house is awesome!

    ReplyDelete